This blog has, IMO, some great resources. Unfortunately, some of those resources are becoming less relevant. I'm still blogging, learning tech and helping others...please find me at my new home on http://www.jameschambers.com/.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

SQL Server 2008 and Intellisense

I thought I was losing my mind for a few minutes this AM as I was having trouble getting Intellisense to kick in for part of my query.  I kept getting ‘Invalid Object Name’ errors on some of my table and columns, but it didn’t seem consistent at first.

I quickly realized that new tables and columns we’re getting picked up by the engine.  I closed my query window, started a new one and tried again.  No love.

So I closed SSMS and opened it back up…worked a treat.  So I said to myself it must be caching somewhere…and off to Google I went.

Apparently not a new problem, a post existed already on the MSDN forums. So I spin up SSMS again to use the Edit->Intellisense->Refresh Local Cache and *Bam* …not there.

At first, anyways.  You can only get at the Intellisense when a query editor is open.  My mind went straight there as I am completely on board with context.  Love it.

Here are the commands you’ll find in that menu:

  • List Members  (Control + J)
  • Complete Word (Alt + Right Arrow)
  • Parameter Information (Control + Shift + Space)
  • Quick Info (Control-K + Control-I, this is a chord)
  • Refresh Local Cache (Control + Shift + R)

No comments:

Post a Comment