This blog has, IMO, some great resources. Unfortunately, some of those resources are becoming less relevant. I'm still blogging, learning tech and helping others...please find me at my new home on http://www.jameschambers.com/.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Found the Bottleneck…

…I think.

I did a scan of the classic ASP site (the UI for the existing EMS application) and found 1740 instances of the phrase “SELECT * FROM” in 280+ files.  1600 of those have no where clauses. 

There are over 2000 table joins across those queries, and the 140+ tables have no foreign key relationships defined.  Many don’t have primary keys, and there isn’t a clustered index in the lot. There is nary a stored proc.

Today I’ll sort through the worst offenders and try to find a way to improve performance as a band-aid solution for the next few months. I’m just hitting the most commonly used pages and using the “Slow Log” feature I found in the MySql admin console.

No comments:

Post a Comment