This blog has, IMO, some great resources. Unfortunately, some of those resources are becoming less relevant. I'm still blogging, learning tech and helping others...please find me at my new home on http://www.jameschambers.com/.

Friday, May 15, 2009

SQL Server Management Studio Request

A feature I would love to see in SSMS would be the ability to write plug-ins – a little more easily – that would allow developers to hook-up templates and actions to objects on the design surface.

As an example, here’s a shot of a couple of selected tables (from a throw-away sample…don’t mind the conventions!):

tables from the designer

When I right-click on these tables, I would like to invoke an action/template that could start some code generation.  Much like right-clicking on a table in the Object Explorer allows you to Script Table –> INSERT to –> Clipboard, I would like to be able to setup a template that allowed for more complicated code to be generated.

Here’s one that I would do: create a multi-insert stored proc template that took n tables as parameters.  When invoked, it would create a stored procedure that would take care of things like inserting the parameters (while omitting the identity columns), ordering the inserts to satisfy relationships, storing SCOPE_IDENTITY() into locally declared vars as it works, etc.

There’s still too much grunt work in creating stored procs.  Dunno, maybe I’m just too lazy ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment