This blog has, IMO, some great resources. Unfortunately, some of those resources are becoming less relevant. I'm still blogging, learning tech and helping others...please find me at my new home on http://www.jameschambers.com/.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Easy Fix for Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 Uninstall Problems

I had downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2010 and I’m pretty sure I do so via the web installer from MSDN Subscriber downloads.

As you can expect with beta software, it’s likely that there will be crumbs left all over the place while a vendor works out the kinks in the deployment/installation experience.

I had one laptop left that I hadn’t updated at home, and so moving to Visual Studio Beta 2 was tonight’s project.

Insert Disk to Continue

The uninstaller was looking for the EXE used to install “Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010 Beta 1 Object Model”. Of course, if I used the web installer – which I think I did – I never would have had a disk.

On a different, unrelated issue, I found uninstall instructions for Visual Studio 2010 Beta 1 here.

I actually started the first step, fired up my screen cap to show that it was indeed working, and before the snipping tool kicked in the uninstall was actually complete.

So, here’s a gratuitous shot of the snipping tool in Windows 7:

image

If you didn’t uninstall the TFS Components first, you would have seen them in this list:

image

There are quite a few posts and random tidbits about machines becoming unstable with botched VS 2010 uninstalls.  I’m glad I ran into a snag before I got myself into trouble.

UPDATE: If you’re interested, the order of instructions worked flawlessly and Beta 2 is now getting installed.

No comments:

Post a Comment