This blog has, IMO, some great resources. Unfortunately, some of those resources are becoming less relevant. I'm still blogging, learning tech and helping others...please find me at my new home on http://www.jameschambers.com/.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

This update improves the experience of updating your phone in the future.

Well, it’s arrived, my phone’s hit the list for updating.  I got the notification on my phone and plugged it into my laptop to start the process.  My update was delayed as I was on the brick list; I have a Samsung Focus.

image

First Things First

Before I was able to apply the update, Windows Phone 7 required an update to Zune. 

image

This process took about four minutes, including the download.

image

Updating the Phone

After the Zune update was complete the software shut down but did not restart on its own.  I left my phone plugged in, but was not prompted to update.

When I restarted Zune I had to go into Settings->Update where I was able to launch the update process.

image

The only thing different this time around was that the warning had been updated to note that telephony would be disabled.

image

The estimate was 20 minutes for the entire process and I was on step 6 of 9 in about 15 seconds, so I was optimistic.

image

When the reboot was complete the updates were pushed to the phone and the computer installed new device drivers. One more reboot, the updates completed installation, and the phone was as good as gold!

image

Total time: 18 minutes, start to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment