This blog has, IMO, some great resources. Unfortunately, some of those resources are becoming less relevant. I'm still blogging, learning tech and helping others...please find me at my new home on http://www.jameschambers.com/.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Windows Phone 7 Wishlist #2

So I’ve been playing with the phone now for over two weeks now and having a great time showing it to my friends. They are shocked that it’s a Windows phone. I have two friends, in particular – one from Vancouver and one from Toronto – who were in town for this past weekend and are huge iPhone fans. image

Between the two of them they’ve owned every iteration of the iPhone, including their now current iPhone 4. They put their phones down and were fighting over my Samsung Focus.

The one was quite miffed that the Rogers rep at the mall didn’t demo it for him as he just picked up his iPhone 4 three weeks ago.

Things I’ve Noticed

  • When you give the home screen a little inertia to let it scroll, then repeatedly hit the Windows button, you can make the tiles skip and keep rolling from the start. This turned out to be a fun game for my kids, who have contests by pinning all the apps to the home screen and then seeing who can be the first to scroll-home-tap and give it enough momentum to get to the bottom of the list.
  • I tend to hit the back or search buttons when I’m using the camera. I am so used to holding my other phone that had no buttons in that area that my fingers get in the way. This isn’t so much a WP7 problem as a Samsung Focus problem. It happens enough to be annoying but not so much that it’s a problem.
  • Same thing with the volume and power, which are on exact opposite sides. You use the phone for leverage on the opposite side to push the button…with unintended results.

Things I’d (Still) Like to See

  • Video sharing
  • Zune Pass and music in the Zune marketplace for Canadians (I’ve already mentioned this, but it’s worth repeating)
  • Updates to the Facebook app – (doesn’t really seem to do it’s work in the background)
  • Some way to organize the apps list. I love the tiles, I love the way the other apps are off to the side, but what would really work is to carry forth the Metro metaphor and allow me to make a panorama out of the apps, with categories I can set. I wouldn’t even mind – at first – if I had to do it in Zune.

No comments:

Post a Comment