This blog has, IMO, some great resources. Unfortunately, some of those resources are becoming less relevant. I'm still blogging, learning tech and helping others...please find me at my new home on http://www.jameschambers.com/.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Another “It would be cool if…” Post

At the time of this post I am using Visual Studio 2010 RC.

I very seldom work with “files” in Visual Studio, so it doesn’t make sense to me to have files listed in the “Recent” jump list in Windows 7.

image

In fact, I so rarely work with individual files that, if I do need to work on one, I would likely have to hunt it down through Windows Explorer and thus be able to double-click it.

I work on Solutions. Projects. Not so much files.

So, it would be cool if Visual Studio 2010 would put the projects that I use most in the jump list and leave the files out.

Another “Me being fussy” Rant

There is a solution to this, I’m just being picky.

Visual Studio 2010 lets you pin your favourite/most used projects to the jump list on the Start Page inside the IDE. I tend to turn this page off, however.

In the settings for Startup the IDE team actually gives us a pretty good way to do whatever the heck we want when VIsual Studio launches.

image

On top of half a dozen default options (including ones that let you get at recent projects and solutions easily) you can also create your own custom start-up page.

Part of the Visual Studio Extensibility bits is a set of controls that make it easy to build your own page, which is coded in XAML. The VSX team had a blog post on this back in Beta 1, but I haven’t found an updated reference. What’s there is still mostly relevant, though you’ll find that some of the work in creating a start page (and a sample project) is already there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment